- DATE : 29/04/2015
- TIME : 16:00–17:00
- VENUE : Project Room 1.06, 50 George Square
Dr Felix Schöber (Independent Curator)
For the last two decades, Taiwan- or rather the Taipei Fine Arts Museum of Taiwan- has represented Taiwanese contemporary art through group shows, which used different artists to fill in positions inside a pattern that changed only very little over the years.
Dr Schoeber will present a series of exhibitions that dealt with Taiwanese contemporary art in a radically different matter: as a survey or rather reconstruction of a discursive space, a format that I adopted in 2003 in “Taiwan art/film/video”, or rather as a confrontation of individual artists with specific questions of the museum space and contemporary art, as in Yang Mao-lin’s solo show “Temple of Sublime Beauty, Made in Taiwan”, a collateral event of the 2009 Venice Biennale, or Michael Lin’s first large-scale retrospective “The Colour is Bright, the Beauty is Generous” in 2010 at the Centro Luigi Pecci, Prato.
(Felix Schoeber curates exhibitions of Yang Mao-lin in 2009 and Michael Lin in 2010)
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Felix Schöber holds a PhD in social sciences from Westminster University in London, with a thesis on the history of Taiwanese national representation through contemporary art. He has been curating contemporary art since 1996. A selection of projects include:
- City.Nature, Masterpiece Art Center, Taipei 1996
- Inhaling Space, Exhaling Time, IT Park Gallery, Taipei 1999
- Sichere freiheit, Lothringer13/LADEN at Munich 2003
- Taiwan art/film/video, Lothringer13/LADEN, Lothringer13/spiegel, Munich 2003
- The Age of Transformation, MoCA Shanghai, 2006
- Temple of Sublime Beauty, Made in Taiwan, Venice Biennale, collateral event, 2009
- The Colour is Bright, the Beauty is Generous, Centro Pecci, Prato 2010
- Future Pass, Venice Biennale, collateral event, 2011
- Strings, Chiwen Gallery, Taipei 2014.
He has held lectures on contemporary Taiwanese art at Sotheby’s Institute London and Ca´Foscari University Venice.